Since Thanksgiving is just the beginning of a four-day fiesta at our house, we’re always happy to find a recipe that will feed the whole posse without using a lot of dough. Chef Brooke Smith of the San Antonio River Walk gem, The Esquire Tavern, slipped us her recipe for tasty mashed potato tacos that does just that.
Tacos con Papas
24 sm. crispy taco shells
4 c. leftover mashed potatoes
4 c. chili coleslaw (recipe below)
1 c. salsa verde (recipe below)
1. Fill each shell with warm mashed potatoes.
2. Top with chili coleslaw, douse with salsa verde, and garnish with cilantro.
For the chili coleslaw
½ head green cabbage
¾ c. pickled red onions (recipe below)
1/8 c. chili powder
3 lemons, juiced
¼ c. blend oil (canola with extra-virgin olive oil)
1. Slice cabbage as thin as paper.
2. In a bowl, mix cabbage with all other ingredients; salt to taste.
For the pickled red onions
1 red onion
¼ c. red wine vinegar
1/8 c. water
1 tbsp. sugar
1½ tsp. salt
1 bay leaf
1. Thinly slice onions and set in a plastic container.
2. In a small sauce pot, combine all other ingredients and bring to a boil.
3. Pour over onions and cover. Onions are ready when liquid has cooled down completely.
For the salsa verde
11 serrano peppers
1 tbsp. water
1½ tsp. honey
1 c. blended oil
½ bunch cilantro (leaves only)
Pinch of salt
1. Burn peppers on one side over an open flame and immediately chill.
2. In a blender, blend water, honey, and peppers for about 1 minute.
3. Drizzle in oil while blending on a slow speed.
4. Add cilantro and salt. Blend until completely smooth.
The Esquire Tavern, 155 East Commerce Street, San Antonio (210-222-2521 or esquiretavern-sa.com).
Photo: Jennifer Whitney / Courtesy of The Esquire Tavern